December 2, 2023
November 11, 2023
October 14, 2023
October 9, 2023
...who's the roundest of them all? Looking glass, you're a gas.
Do the Slauson, Round Robin and the Parlays, 1963
Do the Slauson wouldn't be as groovy without the fantastic backup singing by The Parlays (The Blossoms). Round Robin was the west coast Chubby Checker thanks to The Lloyd Thaxton Show.
September 30, 2023
September 24, 2023
September 2, 2023
Want to see and hear the Mellotron in action? Lucky you:
• Paul McCartney demonstrates the Mellotron
• Would you care to Cha Cha?
• Dr. Mix shows you what it's all about
• Learn about it from the inside out
• More lessons / hear some famous tracks
August 19, 2023
July 30, 2023
I experienced my most inspiring concert Saturday night at the Cabot with Herb Alpert and his wife, singer Lani Hall. Behind the five-piece ensemble were screens displaying photographs and films from both of their careers and images of his paintings acting as backdrops.
I've known his music all of my life but seeing this segment opened my eyes to the wonderful world he's created as a musical artist, trumpeter, painter, sculptor, composer, record-company businessman and philanthropist while remaining kind, humble and generous. 100% of the tours' proceeds go to the Louis Armstrong Foundation.
Between songs and medleys, he spoke about his life and what it means to be an artist and finding your own voice and way in the world.Lani Hall is singing Mais Que Nada by Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 in which she was lead singer. In the background photo from the 60s, she is in the red dress. Click pics to make big.
• Tijuana Taxi, Hollywood Palace, 1966
• Spanish Flea, 1965
• A Taste of Honey, The Ed Sullivan Show, 1965
• BBC tv special, 1967
• Tremendous documentary
• Check out Alpert's Vibrato Jazz Club in LA
Clark's Gum used Mexican Shuffle in their series of commercials.
Mexican Shuffle, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, 1964
In the clip above, Alpert plays along to a video at The Cabot Theater.
And did I mention that he is 88 years old? Keep enjoying life, Herb.
The Lonely Bull, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, 1962
This Guy's In Love With You, Herb Alpert, 1968
July 23, 2023
Hawkes (in red blazer) with The Cars (left) and Eddie Japan (right)
Above, Greg Hawkes and Eddie Japan perform Candy-O at TCAN.
July 22, 2023
July 15, 2023
Wrap It Up, Sam and Dave, 1968
June 24, 2023
Peyton Place (1964-1969) was the first prime time soap opera airing three times a week at one point. Ryan O'Neal and Mia Farrow starred as young people living in a seaside town in Massachusetts.
1957 film was born from the 1956 novel. The 1961 film "Return to Peyton Place" was based on the 1959 sequel of the same name.
June 17, 2023
June 10, 2023
Welcome summer. Looks like The Move shopped on Carnaby Street.
• Way out is way in on Carnaby Street in 1967
• A mixed boutique, 1966
• What's new in 1965?
• Who's the best-dressed entertainer of 1969?
• A Carnaby Street fashion show in 1966
• Les Move on French tv, 1967
• The heartthrob of housewives visits Carnaby Street, 1968
• What's your style: murderous bank robber or hippie hillbilly?
May 27, 2023
• I Can't Believe What You Say, 1964
• River Deep Mountain High promo, 1966
• Playboy After Dark, 1969
• Proud Mary, Ike and Tina Turner Revue, 1970
• Nutbush City Limits, Soul Train, circa 1975
• What's Love Got To Do With It, 1984
River Deep Mountain High, Ike and Tina Turner, 1966